I'm proud to announce my first (free) software, SHA1BruteForce, that performs brute-force attack to crack SHA-1 hash.
After my 10yo Firefox session crashed, I lost an password stored in it. But, I managed to find the hash and it turns out to be a SHA-1 hash (software installed in 2009 on my server). I could change it, I guess, but I knew that it is now considered as a weak encryption (although the first real collision is from February), so I challenged myself to recover it, so I wrote a piece of code in a bit more than a day that do the job.
After, I began to optimized it, having fundamental questioning about C++
It as pretty simple and it seems to perform well. It takes about 4h to crack any 6 characters password on my computer. So I decided to publish it on my server, which was not as simple as I expected
But I also have account in the main git platforms
So I also published it on GitHub
and FramaGit, more know by the French,
(Thank you @Framasoft !)
It is licensed under GPL3.
It is not a revolutionary tools that intends to bit existing ones. I did it for myself, but I share it if anyone is interested.
It is my first published code, so there are most likely some improvements to do on how to write the manual, how to write the code so it can be used by others, how I should comment it, and so on. The same goes for the code itself. Feel free to comment, share, submit commit, report bugs, etc.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!